Center for General Education
National Sun Yat-sen University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
The Center for General Education was established in 2003, by merging The Division of General Studies and the General Education Center in the Office of Academic Affairs. At present there are four divisions in the Center:
- Division of Humanities and Social Sciences Education
- Division of Natural and Applied Sciences Education
- Division of Physical and Health Education
- Division of Service Learning Education
The vision of the Center is not only to nurture students existing talents and equip them with many practical skills, it is also intended to inspire in them a high sense of morality, and a heartfelt concern for human beings and the environment. The Center aims to balance students?#39; professionalism and human values, stimulate students creativity, and emphasize all the goals of the University: The Enhancement of Academic Professionalism, The Inculcation of the Spirit of Humanism, The Pursuit of Unlimited Creativity and Innovation, The Cultivation of Global Perspectives, The Balanced Promotion in All-around Education.
To achieve these goals, the Center for General Education offers various programs, including professional courses, invited lectures, performance of fine arts, social activities, sports and games, cultural events, as well as many other learning opportunities.
Students are expected to become social elites and leaders for society by acquiring the following capabilities through our programs:
- Good language skills (Chinese, English and other foreign languages) for efficient communication.
- Skills and attitudes for becoming a responsible modern citizen.
- General interest in literature and fine arts.
- Respect for life and a deep sense of ethics.
- Background knowledge in science, technologies and humanities.
- Willingness to offer service and help to society and others.
The curriculum offered by the Center consists of five parts: language courses, inter-college electives, liberal education courses, experiential learning courses, and physical and health education program.
1.Language courses: 8 credits (required).
(1)College Chinese: 4 credits (required).
(2)English language: 4 credits (required).
(3)Certification of English language proficiency.
2.Inter-college electives: 6 credits (required).
The inter-college electives are in principle available only for freshmen and sophomores. All students must earn 6 credits for professional/basic courses that are offered by NSYSU college(s) not of their major with the approval of the Center for General Education.
3.Liberal education courses: 12-13 credits (required).
The courses are arranged into 6 dimensions:
- Aesthetic and Cultural Understanding(Dimension 1);
- Philosophical and Moral Thinking (Dimension 2);
- Global Perspectives and Citizenship (Dimension 3);
- Science, Technology and Society (Dimension 4);
- Physical Science and Our Living World (Dimension 5);
- Natural Environment, Ecology, and Sustainable Management (Dimension 6).
The liberal education courses are available only for sophomores and above. All students must earn12 -13 credits for liberal education courses in at least 4 dimensions.
4.Experiential learning courses: 1-2 credits (required).
(1) Rules of the University: 8 sessions of Sun Yat-Sen General Education Lecture Series (required).
(2) Service Learning course: 1 credit (required). The course is available only for sophomores and above.
(3) Students shall earn no more than 1 credit for the elective Applied Courses (military training excluded).
5.Physical and Health Education program: 4 credits (required). The 4 credits awarded by the program include 1 credit each for Fitness Course and Swimming Course for Beginners.